Correspondence Address: Office of Dr Edmond, Fernandes Enclave 1132/32, Melina Mogeru, Falnir, Mangalore – 575 002, Karnataka state, India
To create a visible difference for those who are victims of time & circumstance, through my work and not through my words.
To embrace a community called mankind and channel my energies to build a new Health order through which we can create the kind of world we collectively believe in.
My Signature Statement:
To think like a wild butterfly which spreads its wing on a bright morning in spring, to appreciate the world go by, to create the meaning of life rather than to find it, to right a wrong, to defend the weak, to encourage the not so motivated and bring out the best in them and to do something worth writing about, also to write something worth reading about. Honor, Love, Humanity. For a Nation to Rejoice.
|Current Affairs and Engagements|
|Founder & CEO, CHD Group - Center for Health and Development (R)|
|Member, Health Task Force, District Disaster Management Authority, Government of Karnataka|
|US Department of State's Legislative Fellow 2017.|
|Global Health Focus, The Times of India|
|Member, Swacch Mangaluru Task Force, Mangaluru City Corporation, Government of Karnataka|
DOB: 3rd September, 1990
About Center For Health and Development®:
A Registered Humanitarian organization focusing on training and advocacy for Disaster Risk Reduction, building community resilience and focusing on Urban Health and Public Policy.
Public Policy Advocated for/Impacted:
- Published an advocacy article in the Economic & Political Weekly to regulate work hours for Doctors & House Surgeons in India.
- Conducted a Stakeholder Meeting on “Building India’s Disaster Health Infrastructure” at IIHMR, New Delhi and engaged UN representatives, Govt of India Officials and Civil Society Leaders. This was an effort to Mainstream Disaster Health.(Covered in Print in The Times of India and The Indian Express )
- Open Letter to Mr J P Nadda, Hon’ble Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of India ; Published by India Today Group
- Advocated for Re-thinking white coats in India, through an article( Scientific Commentary) Published in The BMJ ( British Medical Journal) available online as "An article published in The BMJ ( British Medical Journal ) as a personal view to re-think white coats in India."
National TV Channels in the Country
Media Reports as follows
- The Tribune.
- India Today.
- The Times of India.
- CNN IBN Live.
- Hindustan Times.
- Gulf News.
- India TV News .
- Deccan Herald Report.
- Indian Express.
- One India News.
- Daijiworld Media Ltd.
- News Karnataka.
- Business Standards.
- Zee news.
- The Telegraph – India.
- The Times of India – New Delhi.
- Conducted National Symposium on Disaster Risk Reduction 2015 in Collaboration with School of Social Work Roshni Nilaya to orient theoretical disaster response and psycho-social care in Disasters. Impacted more than 200 professionals in Social Work, Public Health and NGO representatives. Disaster Response Cell created.
- Seat Belt enforcement issue was brought up repeatedly with the District Administration and finally it got implemented for Mangalore City. Appeal made in The Times of India. Survey as on June 2015 says, 4000 people have been booked for violating seat belt in the city.
- Took up the cause of Police Officials and Traffic Constables with Shri Om Prakash, Director General of Police, Karnataka State for providing water and sanitation facilities at traffic out-posts and also to empower them to fine rule violators. The Issue of compulsory wearing of masks was brought up for implementation without delay due to air pollution needs rising.Received Letter of thanks from the Office of the Assistant Commissioner of Police, Traffic Sub-Division Mangalore City, Government of Karnataka in response, to that Vide Reference: No 69/General/ACP Tr/2015.
- Conducted a Two Wheeler Rally to mark the 26th National Road Safety Week in Collaboration with the Regional Transport Officer, Traffic Police, where more than 180 two wheelers participated in the rally while on-lookers watched the significance of the day all around the city and then the two wheelers took a pledge for road safety.
- Conducted a Massive Malaria and Dengue Awareness Rally and out-reach for more than 3000 College students across Mangalore City, titled “ Renewing Efforts, Magnifying Health” in collaboration with the District Health Office and Mangalore City Corporation which was Inaugurated by Mr U T Khader, Hon’ble Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka and other Members of Legislative Assembly, Mr J R Lobo, Mr Moideen Bava, and Member of Legislative Council, Captain Ganesh Karnik were present. Daijiworld Report
Areas of Professional Interest- Core Focus:
- Community Medicine/Public Health
Mainstreaming Disaster Health, Disaster Resilience, Urban Risk Mitigation, Capacity Building and Interfacing Health and Social Sciences and advancing Sustainable Development Goals, Urban Health & Public Policy.
Areas of Social Interest
- Social Entrepreneurship
|Edmond Fernandes (2012). Small Things That Matter Much, 1st Edition edn., Bangalore, India: Dhatri Publications, Bangalore. ISBN: 978-93-81440-15-5. Price Rs 100.|
|Edmond Fernandes (2015). Handbook on Workplace Diplomacy, 1st Edition edn., Mangalore, India: Yenepoya Printers and Publishers ISBN : 978-93-5235-909-7. |
Price Rs 130 and USD$6.
- Fernandes, E., Borah, H. & Shetty, S. (2016) Mainstream disaster health as a policy priority: experiences from Chennai floods and a cross sectional study during disaster relief phase. Int J Community Med Public Health, 3 (6), 1589-1592. doi:10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20161634.
- Fernandes E, Borah H. (2016). Wounded Healers. J of Economic and Political Weekly. Vol 51. Issue no 17, 23.
- Fernandes E. Doctors and medical students in India should stop wearing white coats BMJ 2015; 351 :h3855. Available online on here . Last accessed 23rd November, 2015.
- Ashraf M, Mohan T, Fernandes E (March 2014) 'Hand patterns in prostatic cancers', IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences, 13(3), pp. 72-74 .
- Edmond Fernandes, RP Pai (2012) 'A Few Issues & Concerns in Health Communications- The India Story: ', in (ed.) Official proceeding book of the International Symposium on Language 7 Communications.. Izmir University, Turkey: Mega PRESS , Erzurum, Turkey., pp. 80-83.
- Palatty P, Fernandes E, Suresh S, Baliga MS (2011) 'Comparison of Sleep Patterns in Medical & Law Students', J Sleep & Hypnosis, 13(1-2).
- Short Communication: Fernandes E. (2011) Indian Scenario of Medical Research, International Med J of Students’ Research,Vol 2.
- Written over 80 articles and counting in different medias both electronic and print on varied topics in current affairs, Health, Poverty, philosophy, religion. Written in the media for The Times of India, DailyO – India Today Group, Express Healthcare – India Express Group, Governance Now, The News Minute, Mangalore Today, Deccan Herald, The Examiner, Yuva, and others. – print editions.
First Book in News – Small Things that Matter Much
Only online Links which have not been mentioned elsewhere in the cv.
- Special Coverage of 2nd Book on Work Place Diplomacy.Indian Express ( In Print )
Languages Known: English, Hindi, Marathi, Konkani, Kannada.
Office for Medical Journalism: Office of Dr Edmond, Fernandes Enclave, Melina Mogeru, Falnir – 02, Mangaluru.
When Media Empowers:
- Branded By The Times of India as “A Leader in the Making.”(Print)
- The Times of India “Medical student wears many hats”.
- Mangalore’s Youngest Author – Deccan Herald, Dakshin Times,Mangalore Today Reports(Print and Web).
- Recognized by Mangalore Media Company, www.mangalorean.com as “Mangalorean Whizkid”.
- Interviewed as a “young achiever” on All India Radio.
- Interviewed Twice on 92.7BIG FM (a Reliance Broadcast Company).
- Shortlisted for Disaster Response Training by Doctors for You : The Times of India report.
- Interviewed on AALAtimes for the opinion of the government of India proposal on Compulsory rural internship for Medical students.
- Website www.eduorb.com which was started was reported by Deccan herald as “a new arena to explore the world.”
Guest Lectures and Invites as Resource Person/Chief Guest:
- Invited as Session Chairperson for National Seminar on “Moving Towards Health System equity.” Supported by Indian Council for Social Science Research, May 6-7th, 2016 at Centre for Culture and Development, Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Invited as Resource Person to speak on “Disaster Mainstreaming in Healthcare” at the 4th International Conference on Remote Sensing and GIS, Mangalore University. UGC Sponsored Conference on 16- 17th, February, 2016. (Sponsored)
- Invited as Resource person to speak on “ Mental Health – Need for a paradigm shift” for the Fourteenth MDRF-UAB-FIU International seminar on “Prevention and Control of non-communicable diseases” from 5thevening to 7thFebruary 2016, funded by the National Institutes of Health [NIH] in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. (Sponsored)
- Invited as Panelist to speak on “Civic responsibilities to fight corruption” at St Aloysius College (Autonomous), St Aloysius Group of Institutions on 22nd January, 2016. ( Sponsored)
- Invited to attend “Transforming Risk into Resilience meeting” organized by SEEDS India and ADRRN at India International Center, Lodi Estate, New Delhi on 12th January, 2016. ( Sponsored)
- Invited as Speaker for the 2nd World Congress on Disaster Management, Government of Andhra Pradesh, 19-22nd November, 2015. (Partially Sponsored)
- Made Co-Chairperson for the Health Theme at the 39th Indian Social Sciences Congress held at, Mangaluru University, December 1-5th, 2015.
- Invited as Chief Guest to deliver a keynote session for Teacher’s Day function at P A College of Engineering, University Road, 11th September, 2015.
- Invited to deliver a Guest Lecture at St Aloysius Institute of Management and Information Technology. Addressed the Gathering on “ Our World : Beyond the 21st century for sustainable development.”
- Invited to attend the District Disaster Management Authority Meeting dated 16-7-2015, under the Chairmanship of Mr Ibrahim, IAS, Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate, Dakshina Kannada District, Government of Karnataka.
- Invited to address the prelude of the 39th Indian Social Sciences Congress 2015 at Mangalore University on “Shaping Healthcare through Humanities.” 23rd june, 2015
- Invited By The Deputy Commissioner for Transport, under Directions of the Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate to attend the Road Transport Authority Meeting and Make a Presentation on Road Safety and Road Traffic Injuries. Vide Reference Letter Dated: 11-3-2015. DCT&SRTO/MNG/RoadSafety/2015
- Invited as Faculty to chair sessions at the 11th MDRF-FIU-UAB Intensive Workshop at Chennai supported through Fogarty Grant, NIH,USA, 2015. ( Sponsored)
- Invited to participate, deliberate and document the UNICEF and Government of Odisha conclave on “Nourishing India’s Tribals, Bhubaneshwar, Odisa. Jan 15th and 16th, 2015. ( Sponsored)
- Invited by University of Dhaka for a guest session on “Disasters: Certainty in an uncertain world. December 6th, 2014. ( Partly sponsored)
- Invited by Shaheed Surwardhy Medical College, Dhaka, BMSS Unit for a guest session on “ Disaster Risk Reduction.”
- Invited by Public Health Foundation of Bangladesh, for the scientific seminar and talk during the Foundation day at icddr,b in Dhaka. December 7th and 8th, 2014. ( Partly Sponsored)
- Invites as Resource person at the International conference on Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bangalore, December 18, 19th, 2014. ( Sponsored)
- Invited to the Public Health Foundation of Bangladesh to sign MoU with them on December 7-8th, 2014.
- Invited by Doctors For You for a training in Humanitarian Emergencies at Tata Institute of Social Sciences Mumbai, August 27-30th (Sponsored)
- Invited as Faculty for the MDRF-FIU-UAB International Seminar supported by Fogarty Grant, NIH, at Chennai in January,2014. ( Sponsored)
- Invited to participate and conduct the Interactive Session on Rabies Prevention and Control jointly organized by Dept of Public Health, Manipal University, District Health and Family Welfare, Udupi, Dept of Animal Husbandry. ( Partly Sponsored)
- Invited for the CME on Tuberculosis organized by District Health and Family welfare, Udupi, International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases, New Delhi and Dept of Public Health, Manipal University, Dated : 9th March,2013. ( Partly Sponsored)
- Participated in CME on “Acid Base Balance” organized by Yenepoya University, division of Nephrology on March 23rd, 2013.
- Invited Guest Lecture delivered to Students of SDM Law College & research Institute on 16th October, 2012 on “ When the World Begins in you.” – with Influencing People & Slow Philosophy.”
- Invited to attend a CME on “ Intimacy Matters “ conducted by Dept of Psychiatry at A J Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore
- Invited for The International Conference on “ Re-thinking Religion in India” jointly organized by Ghent University, Belgium; SDM Law College, Mangalore,
- Addressed & delivered a guest lecture in St Mary’s College, Shirva, udupi on 07th July, 2010 and spoke on “in search of your true self.” ( sponsored)
- July 3rd, RIMSCON 2011, Kadapa, Andhra Pradesh. Delivered a guest lecture on “The changing scenario of Medical education in India Today.” ( Sponsored)
- Delivered a guest lecture on “Medical concerns in IT Professionals,” at St Aloysius Institute of Management and Information Technology, Beeri, Mangalore.” ( Sponsored)
- Invited to judge “Tweet up- group discussion at Imprints 2011, Science fest.
- Participated as an invited delegate in the National Seminar on “Indian Constitution, 60 years of Actions & inactions, SDM Law College, Mangalore.
- Participated as an invited delegate in the National Seminar on “issues & concerns of higher legal education in India” SDM Law College, Mangalore.
- Invited to Hoist the National flag on 26th January, 2007 by the Veena Beena Co-operative HSG soc.LTD during the Indian Republic day celebrations.
- Invited to Speak on “ Medical journalism & Public Relations on 100.3FM ALL INDIA RADIO on 15th September,2012.
- Recommended by Global Peace Foundation – India to represent the Indian Delegation to the 4th International Young Leaders Assembly at USA.
- Nominated to represent the Indian delegation for the 61st General Assembly of The International Federation of The Medical Students association, Mumbai. August 9-14th 2012.
- Received the trophy of appreciation by the International Institute of Public Policy.
- Received the Lifebuoy Trophy for securing 90% from Don Bosco, Matunga.
- Merit Certificate of Proficiency in the science talent search competition during the Dr Homi Bhabha Bal Vaidnyanik Competition.
- The Simon Cardinal Pimenta Merit Certificate for Religion.
- Won the Rink hockey tournament and bagged the Lions Club of Willingdon Crescent 2004.
- Won several finals in football and hockey at the city, state and national levels with numerous medals and certificates.
A Few Articles on Public Interest online links: all links are available on www.edmond.in
- Lessons in Humanitarian Emergencies.
- Road and Creating a Commonwealth. Published in The Financial Express.
- How Sexual Harassment is Hijacking Education.
- A Generation in Peril
M.B.B.S (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery), PGdip ( PHSM ) – Public Health Service Management.
- Member, Blood Bank Sub-committee of Indian Red Cross Society, DK Branch
- Hon, Director, Institute of Languages and Communications, Turkey.
- Member, Global Health Council.
- Medical Journalist, Mangalore Media Company.
- Editor, Mullerpulse 2012, The Annual College Magazine of Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore.
- President, Milagres Castle Apartment Owners Association, Mangalore.
- Freelance Reporter, Coastaldigest.com – A unit of Amaco Group of Companies.
- Officer for Internal & External affairs, Indian Medical students Association.
- Certified Rescuer in Basic and Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Certified by American Heart Association.
- Member, Advisory Panel, IAC, Delhi.
- Association of Medical Doctors of Asia-Indian chapter. NGO under UNECOSOC General consultative status.
- Catholic Association of South Kanara – CASK.
- Strength : Influencing People, Leadership, Catalyst actions, ideologies, Thoughts, Interpersonal skills with ability to adapt to changes and instant decision making capabilities. To look back and look ahead.
- Weakness: Unforeseen shortcomings with time.
- Opportunity: Tap the market potential through ICT Formats and SOAP Technique.
- Threats: There lies opportunities even with threats, if you can only find it.
A Few Activities in Medical Journalism:
- Wrote about “ Social Accountability of medical schools in India, Published in Global Health Now, Newsletter of Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
- Showcased Lessons in Healthcare, KG Hospital, Coimbatore, India and reported about A Community ophthalmology Project and its Super-human Effort.
- Profiled Dr Srinath Rao, Dean of The Faculty of Homeopathy, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science, about homeopathy and its ways.
- Social Accountability of Medical Schools, of how Father Muller Hospital reaches the poor- Multi Formats
- Took up Unity Hospital as a Case Study of how it excels in healthcare Entrepreneurial Excellence
- Formulated Official Proceedings of The Global Health Symposium, Manipal India 2012, A Manipal University Production.
- Profiled the efforts of Dr MS Kamath, Ayurveda and Traditional Medicine with Disaster Management programmes.
- Guest session to IT Professionals on health issues of relevance to IT Sector.
- Profiled Dr RP Pai, Former Consultant WHO and Advisor to Blessed Mother Theresa, Missionaries of Charity for his multifaceted personality and Public relations in deccan herald & Mangalore Today.
- Visited “Nymphasadan” – a home for the aged,based in mangalore; with a team of medical students and indulged in an informal discussion with the inmates on their daily routines, pastimes, memories and experiences to share and their expectations.
A Few Participations in Conferences/Seminars:
- Presented an Oral Scientific paper on “Assessment of Commuter Problem in a fast developing tier two city of Mangaluru at the 27th Annual State Conference of Karnataka Association of Community Health, hosted at Yenepoya University.
- OPSE and OSCE Workshop under the aegis of IAPP, conducted on 23rd June, 2015 at the Dept of Community Medicine, Manipal University.
- CME on Geriatrics conducted on 5th June, 2015, conducted by Dept of Community Medicine, Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore
- Urban Health and Public Health Financing Workshop, December 15-18th,2014, Yenepoya University
- Attended the 2nd International Workshop on Micronutrients and Child Health, AIIMS, New Delhi. Was awarded scholarship for the same. November 3rd to 7th, 2014.
- Recent advances in Tuberculosis, World TB Day, March 24th, 2015, Yenepoya University.
- Represented India for The Association of Medical Doctors of Asia towards emergency relief missions for Typhoon Yolanda at Iloilo, The Philippines. ( Sponsored )
- Addressed the Issues pertaining to “ Indian Middle Class – Reflections from a twenty something.” At the International Seminar, on “ Tracking the growth of Indian Middle Class.” At the Centre for Culture and Development, Vadodara, Gujarat held from 27th – 29th November, 2013. ( Sponsored )
- International symposium on Language & Communications, Izmir University, Turkey. June 10th-13th, 2012, Addressed the health communications of a developing country – the India story.( Sponsored)
- 4th International Medical Research Conference, Grant Medical college & JJ Hospital, Mumbai. Presented a paper on “assessment of sleep patterns in medical students.” 11-14th May,2011. ( Sponsored)
- Awarded Scholarship for Delegate invitee for the MDRF-UAB-FIU 11th International Seminar on prevention and control of non communicable diseases, at the Madras Diabetic Research Foundation, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. February 13-17th, 2013 ( Sponsored).
- International Congress on Emergency Management Services, AIIMS, New Delhi.
- 23rd Annual Conference of Karnataka Association of Community Health, Manipal. Presented “ a case study of Father Muller charitable Institution in social accountability of medical schools.” ( Sponsored).
- Horizon 2010, Workshop on “Medico-legal issues” Fr Muller Medical College, Mangalore.
- Participated in the worshop on “ research training for undergraduates” held on 22 march,2011 at Father Muller Medical College, Mangalore.
- Reporting of Typhoon Yolanda Relief Mission in Philippines:
- Reporting of Chennai Flood Relief Mission in Tamil Nadu:
I hereby declare that the information provided by me is true.